The Solution Architect’s Path to Success
Welcome to today’s blog. Sit back and relax. Close your eyes. Take some deep relaxing breaths. Envision a Utopian architecture project delivery:
- Scope is clear and agreed upon,
- Requirements are carefully crafted,
- Required project roles are present (aka. the Venn of Success),
- Schedule allows freedom to discuss, plan, and execute proven patterns of architecture,
- Timelines are realistic: thoughtfully vetted and agreed upon, and
- Everyone is looking forward to the beautifully crafted UML models
…. cue the music!
Have you ever really been there? Don’t worry, you already have the tools needed to succeed!
Simplify your approach and use these strategies for an effective, productive, and satisfying outcome.
- Drive solutions: Propose to the project manager, technical project manager, or business analyst – or whoever is lacking direction specific deliverable – that you can help with some goal oriented diagrams. Get diagramming and show some quick results!
- Demonstrate efficiency: Easy stuff – be on time, be prepared, and have clear agendas for your meetings. Run your meetings to be organized and on topic. Distribute home-run meeting recaps.
- Migrate to success: There will always be people who “get it” and those who by nature will resist. Work with the former, show them what you are doing and why – you will end up with new allies in the room. Eventually, your successes will win over the rest.
- Expand your architecture offerings: if the task is not in your job description but is in your tool belt, offer to help – and over-deliver. You will end up with increased visibility which will lead to requests for the work you want to do.
And be careful out there.
Latest posts by John Driscoll (see all)
- Open Group 2012 – Cannes, France: Day Three Highlights - April 30, 2012
- Open Group 2012 – Cannes, France: Day Two Highlights - April 25, 2012
- Open Group 2012 – Cannes, France: Day One Highlights - April 23, 2012